Legal support is often needed in child adoption. One might wonder how or why? Once you are done reading this informative piece, all your queries and confusion will be gone.
Does Legal Aid Help with Adoption?
Generally, child adoption is about a good parent who can take care of the child. However, this process might cause legal complications.
For instance, if you are a proposed parent, you will have to prove your credibility as a sound citizen. In addition, you will need letters of recommendation, evidence of financial soundness, and so on.
All these steps can be very stressful for the couple who are trying to have a child. Although the positive result can shower you with happiness, the related issues and legal matters can make things difficult. This is why having experienced legal support improves the situation.
How Can Legal Aid Help with Adoption?
The outcome of adoption affects not only you but also the people you love. Thus, how you proceed matters a lot. Not every proposed couple faces the same obstacles, and it differs depending on the circumstances.
If you hire an experienced lawyer, he will go through the situation with you. That means he will break down your circumstances and explain what steps are good for you.
Besides, the lawyer will protect the child’s interest as well as your rights. Thus, it is best to get legal help.
Steps You Will Need for Legal Support
Now, understanding the legal issues can be crucial for you if you want to get out properly. There are several steps out there for you to get legal support. Let’s discuss those steps so that you can easily get a proper solution for your problem.
Choosing a Lawyer
At first, you will have to understand whether you are comfortable sharing your issues with a lawyer. Then, if you know you can, you need to find a lawyer with outstanding credentials.
How long the lawyer has been practicing, how many similar cases he has handled, and his success rate. After you are done researching the credentials, check the expenses. Remember, child adoption cases can be longer than you assume them to be.
Hence, expenses are a vital issue for selecting a lawyer. Lastly, the area; it is better if the lawyer lives in the city you are in, that’s how you can remain in regular touch.
Filling Out the ‘Intake Form’
Once you choose the lawyer, you will need to provide him essential details about you. It is a mention-worthy step because child adoption requires a large amount of paperwork. However, your lawyer is going to do it for you if you have one.
However, he needs to know all the details about you. So, to avoid any mistake, you need to fill the ‘intake form’ delicately.
Things Your Lawyer Will Need
To proceed with your adoption application, you will need to gather numerous documents. But, do not get worried if you don’t have all the items.
That’s because your lawyer will guide you with collecting missing forms as well. So here is the list of documents that you will need:
- Birth certificates (certified copies) of you and your partner
- Marriage certificate (certified copy) However, if you are not married, that is not an issue.
- Divorce certificate, if you are a divorcee (certified copy)
- Health certificate
- An announcement from your insurance company that they will cover the child’s insurance
- A copy of your criminal history
- A copy of the social service’s report on you
- The police report of you as a citizen
- Immigration records, if you are an immigrant
- Letters of recommendation from your friends and families
Common Adoption Issue and Question
Some situations and issues might arise during a child’s adoption. However, with the proper legal support, you can overcome these issues. Here are the most common problems that are raised encircling child adoption:
- What is the suitable method for your adoption? (confidential, arbitrated, open)
- What rights do same-sex couples have in adoption?
- What are the pros and cons of taking the help of an agency for adoption?
- What are the pros and cons of private adoption?
- What is international adoption?
- What are the problems encircling international adoption?
Are You Eligible for Adoption?
Even if you hire the best lawyer, there are few standards you should meet. If you don’t meet those conditions, you are not a desirable or eligible candidate. Here are the conditions that will make you eligible for a child adoption:
- Your age: You should be over eighteen but below fifty. Before eighteen, you are not an adult; thus, you can’t take anyone’s responsibility. After fifty, you are high chances that you are not physically sound to take care of a child.
- Your financial condition: Most of the kids who can give for adoption are two main reasons. Either their biological parents are dead or don’t have the financial capacity to raise them. Thus, you can only be a desirable candidate if you have a sound financial condition.
- Stable income: Whether or not your income source is steady makes a lot of difference. If you have a good work history, you don’t have to worry much.
- Your health: If you have any terminal disease, you are no longer a desirable candidate. Your sound health is a plus point.
- Child-friendly house: Once you are a desirable parent, they will come to inspect your residence. If you have a child-friendly place, you will be the desired candidate.
- A responsible citizen: If you have a clean criminal record and perform your civic duties, it gives you a better opportunity.
You can indeed apply for your adoption. However, taking legal help will make your path more accessible and increase your chances of a positive outcome. If you are going through an adoption process, I hope you are successful. Best of luck with your new life!